Sports medicine is a perfect work setting for physical therapists! Just think, every professional sportsman, be it a dancer, boxer or football player, sometimes needs the help of physical therapist! Injuries and traumas in athletes' lives go together with success! So physical therapists' services are essential for them.
What it takes to become a physical therapist in sports medicine? Here are some steps you have to overcome on your way to becoming a physical therapist. Follow them and you will get a prosperous career in no time!
1. Become a therapist in any field you have to acquire at least a Master's degree. If your interest is sports medicine, get enrolled into the graduate school that focuses on orthopedic or sports therapy. To check the accreditation of physical therapy school visit American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) website. To become a physical therapist in sports medicine you will have to study for 2 years. Think also about getting a doctoral degree in the field. It will take you 3 more years.
2. During your studying in physical therapy school try to find a volunteer or paid work in the field. Where can you look for the practical experience? Well, you may be assisting a school's team therapist, or find a job in rehabilitation center. Every bit of experience can benefit you in future!
3. Find out about requirements for licensing in your state. In general, you will need a Master's degree from accredited physical therapy school and good scores on National Physical Therapy Examination. Still, your state may have some additional requirements for becoming a therapist in sports medicine. Contact your state licensing department and find out about the procedure in your area.
4. After becoming a therapist in sports medicine join the APTA. Why should you do this? Well, it will give you access to the various seminars, conferences and continuing education courses. You will always be aware of all the new foundations and techniques in the area. Therefore, you will be able to consistently improve your knowledge and professional skills.
5. Always remain in good physical shape! Becoming a physical therapist in sports medicine requires strong and fit body. You will have to use your muscles on the daily basis! How do you imagine this being weak? So improve not only your professional skills, but also your overall fitness.
Follow these steps and your way to becoming a physical therapist in sports medicine will be fast and easy. So what are you waiting for? Start working for your future success right now!